Friday 22 April 2011

Just because...

.
Just because the sun is shining and the wind is warm and I was once very young and unwisely in love, here is a poem I wrote then (many years ago)...


So Few Hours by Jan Jones

Just one afternoon
Stolen from the confines
Of these cold walls
And high ceilings
Just one afternoon
Speeding along motorways and
Narrow lanes
Wind in my hair
Your hand over mine.

And always now when I see your face
It will be above mine
Sun filtering through the arches of trees overhead
Always now when you touch my arm
I'll feel stones pressing into my back
And plants stinging my shoulders
Always now when I brush my hair
Leaves and twigs will cascade around me
Always now when I reach for a needle
I'll mend the rent in my skirt.

And nothing now will ever teach me to think of you
With less than a smile on my lips
And nothing now will ever teach me to think of you
With less than an ache in my heart.


.

9 comments:

J. Fishler said...

Jan, that was lovely - and poignant - and it took me back. And I wonder where he is now...

Judy Astley said...

That's so beautiful Jan. Made me think of someone too.

Jan Jones said...

Aw, thanks both.

No idea where he is now. It was such a very long time ago. Happy though, I hope.

Jane Odiwe said...

Jan, that is beautiful! Sounds like there were some lovely memories there.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

That's beautiful and evokes memories for me too. Lovely.

Unknown said...

Lovely and left me with a memory smile too..
lx

Karen said...

Wonderful. You're good at this poetry lark :o)

Bluestocking Mum said...

I loved this Jan.

Just because...

It looks like we all have that memory ;)

btw - I found your blog through Debs Carr. Good to meet you on the blogosphere.
warm wishes
Debbie

Jan Jones said...

Thanks, all. Glad I brought back some nice memories, even if some are a little bittersweet.

I think that's why I like poetry so much - it captures the moment and takes you back.

Welcome, Debbie, nice to see you here.