Saturday 10 November 2018

From Poppies to Flames

.
Tower of London poppies ~ August 2014
From Poppies to Flames by Jan Jones
.
Watching the lighting of the Tower moat
I remember four years ago
The first thin stream of poppies
The silence as a thousand strangers stood in the still air
Gripping hands
Aching
Grieving
.
Packing the poppies ~ Nov 2014
I was there again on the last day
I saw them dismantled
Packed away until you would
never know there had been a sea of blood

Four years ago. Four years.

In those four years I have lost irreplaceable friends
and so many icons. My history flickering out
Life diminished

A century ago
How many more never returned
Between the thin red line and the torches
Countless lives altered fast and forever

So much waste
And so much waste still
Make it stop

Peace

Not pieces
.
.
Tower of London torches ~ November 2018

No comments: